Sunday, July 20, 2008

WIP It Good!


Here's a look at page 3 from the upcoming Popgun 2 anthology. On the left we have the sketch, on the right, of course, the completed page. Yeah, I don't really get a whole lot figured out in the sketch stage, what I'm really concerned with is composition. Actual detail, line thickness, these are things I kind of hash out on the fly, once I'm happy with placement. Overall, I'm happy with the page, but I hated having to cut Farel's weird little hands from panel 2. Oh how I love those little hands!

2 comments:

Brian Winkeler said...

For grins, here's the script for that page:

PAGE 3
[6 panel grid]

Panel 1
EYEBROW: “NOT LONG AFTER…”
We see Bastard and Farel from behind, sitting in pretty good stadium seats, with roller derby action in the distance – two cat women on skates fighting, one’s fairly massive, the other thin and sexy. Farel’s got a big taco in his hands.
BASTARD: HELLS YEAH! THIS IS MY KINDA PARTY! A LITERAL CATFIGHT!

Panel 2
Same framing as panel 1, but the sexy cat rollergirl has been tossed into the stands and is heading straight for Bastard.
FAREL: BASTARD! DUCK!
BASTARD: DUCK? I DON’T SEE NO —

Panel 3
Closeup of Bastard’s grimacing face contorting as a rollerskate smacks it.
SFX: SPLAM!

Panel 4
Bastard from front – the skater is now splayed provocatively across his lap
KATATOMIC: SORRY ‘BOUT THAT, BIG BOY.
BASTARD: WELL, HELLO KITTY!

Panel 5
KATATOMIC: I’M KATATOMIC, THE MOST POWERFUL PUSSY OF THE POSTAPOCALYPSE!
BASTARD: THAT’S SOME TONGUE TWISTER!
KATATOMIC: YOU BET I AM!
OFF PANEL VOICE: HEY!

Panel 6
Medium shot of Hex Mex, pointing up
HEX MEX: ROJO GRANDE! WHATCHOO THINK YOU DOIN’ WITH MI HOTT-O GATO?

Brian Winkeler said...

[Note the subtle revisions from the script above - we roll with the punches here at Bastard Road!]